Friday, March 30, 2007

ABF/P/T and the Taj Mahal

For the uninitiated that means another bloody fort/palace or temple. So went the rest of our trip in Rajasthan we saw more forts, palaces and temples. There was also plenty of desert. The whole places conjures up images of screaming men galloping on horses in flowing colourful robes with their long swords flashing in the sun. The history is rather brutal with many battles being fought over land and religion. I don’t really know what I was expecting in India, but the whole looking a lot like something out of Aladdin wasn’t what I had in mind. It was really more middle east. Mind you, we only saw the top bit of India, and I expect that the middle and south are quite different. People go south for the beaches.

The most impressive building, of course, is the Taj Mahal. This is a mausoleum built for the king’s wife because he missed her so much. It is a massive structure covered in marble and looks exactly like all those photos you have seen. It was as big as I imagined and as awesome as I thought. There were no loads of people there but we managed to get some good pics without too many crowds. I expect you to build one for me when I am gone.

From Agra we headed back to Delhi and another day with Jo’s friends, and dinner with the family before ending our India adventure.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home